To help create a more sustainable tourism sector contributing to the SDG's, the United Nations has designated 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
1) Inclusive and sustainable economic growth
2) Social inclusiveness, employment and poverty reduction
3) Resource efficiency, environmental protection and climate change
4) Cultural values, diversity and heritage
5) Mutual understanding, peace and security.
There is no doubt that our world is changing rapidly and there are currently over 7.4 billion people on the planet.
Over time and day to day, with more and more businesses and more and more people, our choices are having a major impact on the world around us.
The UN focus on sustainable tourism in 2017 will hopefully prompt the organisational delivery and consumer uptake of more sustainable tourism practices.
As consumers and travellers we have an amazing opportunity to create positive change for people around the world, for animals and for our planet by making more sustainable choices.